The trends that continue to dominate the HVAC industry in 2018 include developing products designed to assist homeowners and commercial building owners/managers in managing their energy use, using smart-enabled energy management devices, improving indoor air quality, and providing more sustainable home and work environments.
The AHR Expo (International Air-Conditioning, Heating, Refrigerating Exposition) is the world’s largest HVACR event, attracting more than 2,000 exhibitors and 65,000+ attendees every year. Since 1930, the show has provided a unique forum for the entire HVACR industry, including OEMs, engineers, contractors, manufacturers, distributors, educators, and commercial, industrial and institutional facility operators to come together and discover the latest products, learn about new technologies and develop mutually beneficial business relationships. This year’s show, co-sponsored by ASHRAE and AHRI, was held Jan. 22-24, 2018 at McCormick Place in Chicago, IL.
At the AHR Expo, manufacturers and vendors introduced thousands of new or upgraded products, systems and technologies that are intended to make it easier for HVAC contractors and technicians to provide excellent service, increase productivity and allow for residential and commercial building owners to maximize their HVAC system’s energy efficiency with ease.
The solutions presented at the show comprised a wide variety of categories, from indoor air quality to software, and addressed the interests of contractors, engineers, wholesalers/distributors, facility managers and owners/operators. With the wide variety of products and new technologies, these innovations are expected to touch every corner of the HVAC/R industry.
Manufacturers and vendors exhibited a wide range of products that contractors will want to learn more about, such as:
- VFDs (variable frequency drives) for HVAC systems designed for building automation applications that will help minimize energy costs and maximize comfort and sustainability.
- An oscilloscope for easier testing of motor shaft voltages to allow contractors to determine if motors are at risk of premature bearing failure.
- A self-contained HVAC system designed to prevent an explosion by using only non-arcing components for use in hazardous locations.
- New electrical test meter technology for reliable, true-RMS measurements for ease of use in crowded junction boxes or along conductors with inaccessible end points.
- Enhanced software that allows engineers and designers to create complex hydronic, steam, plumbing and VRF (variable refrigerant flow) systems along with air handlers, rooftop units and control schematics.
- An array of tools, including heavy-duty wire strippers, thermal imaging Wi-Fi-enabled technology with a slim infrared camera with an integrated touch-screen, a handheld air particle counter for indoor air quality inspections, and a copper-based cleaning tool that removes contaminants from refrigeration and HVAC lines.
- An upgraded Wi-Fi-connected thermostat that uses iOS or Android apps, plus email notifications and advanced voice control.
- A digitally controlled mixing valve that provides fast, accurate temperature control for residential hot water systems.
- A new bionic impeller technology with a special blade design, modeled after the tubercles on a whale, to ensure optimized airflow and reduced flow separation.
As a leader in the HVAC/R industry, Source 1™ HVAC Supply prides itself on its ability to stay abreast of current trends. In addition to showcasing the YORK® line of equipment as part of the Johnson Controls family, our representatives attended the 2018 AHR Expo in Chicago with the intention of making sure that the procurement team visited the booths offering new products and technologies that can make our contractors’ businesses more profitable and their jobs easier. The management team at Source 1™ HVAC Supply is currently reviewing many innovative products for their relevance to their customers and will be looking to add new solutions to our line, as they see a demand.